How your holistic doctor in Franklin, TN, can help you manage the signs and symptoms of multiple sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis or MS is a complex autoimmune disease affecting the central nervous system. The outer covering of the nerves, known as myelin, becomes weak, affecting how the brain controls the body. MS can be treated and managed, with the help of a brain specialist.
Dr. Mehta at BrainCare (Brain Injury and Stroke Rehab) in Franklin, TN, provides a wide range of holistic rehabilitation and brain injury services, including the management of MS.
Multiple sclerosis has several signs and symptoms, including:
- Numbness or weakness occurring on one side of your body at a time
- Feelings of electric shock when the neck is bent forward
- Tremors, loss of coordination, or walking unsteadily
- Vision problems, including loss of vision, eye pain, double vision, or blurred vision
- Fatigue and dizziness
- Speech problems or slurred speech
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
Several methods are used to diagnose multiple sclerosis, including:
- Blood tests, to rule out similar conditions
- Spinal tap, to determine the presence of antibodies for MS
- MRI, to detect the presence of lesions associated with the active phase of MS
MS symptoms can be managed effectively. Professional treatments include:
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce nerve inflammation
- Beta interferon reduces the frequency and severity of attacks
- Copaxone to block your immune system from attacking myelin
- Plasmapheresis, to replace plasma with a protein solution
- Physical therapy to keep you healthy and strong
- Mobility aids and other devices to improve performance of daily tasks
- Dietary and lifestyle modifications to enhance your health
- Vitamin, herbal, and nutritional supplements to maintain your health
MS management involves maintaining a healthy lifestyle, which includes:
- Getting enough rest, so your body can recover
- Exercising regularly, to keep up your strength
- Avoiding heat exposure, to minimize symptoms
- Eating healthy to maintain your overall health
- Practicing stress reduction to minimize symptoms
To read more detailed information about multiple sclerosis, please visit the multiple sclerosis section on the website by clicking here.
To learn more about the management and treatment of MS, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Mehta at BrainCare (Brain Injury and Stroke Rehab) in Franklin, TN. You can reach her in the office by calling (615) 450-6758, so call today.